My students need Go Talk One devices because they are simple one phrase output devices that enable my students to communicate basic wants and needs.
A typical day is my classroom is a busy day. My students are not able to verbalize their wants and needs. Instead, their communication is exhibited through behaviors that are often not socially acceptable. We have a few devices in place that help them communicate to familiar adults.
Stephen Hawking said "the quietest people have the loudest minds." My students are primarily nonverbal, but they want to talk.
They want the world to know what they have to say. My students have autism. All seven of them. All 27 in our program of three classes in a regular public school. Our school is a Title I school. That means the majority of our students is at poverty level and therefore qualifies for free or reduced means. In fact, 75% of our entire school qualifies or receives free or reduced lunch. The other 25% barely made the cut off for qualifying for those meals. Our school has an autism program designed to meet the needs of the students in a small class setting that is highly structured. We have three teachers with classrooms divided by functioning and communication levels. However, within our school day, we move students around the three classes so their academic needs are being met at their level.
My prompts are to explain how these devices will help my students, what activity will they be able to do, and what will they learn. Voice output devices will be placed around the classroom for various communication needs. Some devices will be used for statements such as "I need to use the potty" or "I want a snack." Other devices will be used for "I need help" or "I'm finished." These simple statements make our lives so much easier. Having a way to articulate their wants and needs will dramatically improve the lives of my students.
Having voice output devices gives my students their own voice.
It gives them the ability to participate with their peers, to share their thoughts, to speak their ideas. Imagine not being able to tell the world what you have to say. A simple device can give my students a voice.
You donate directly to the teacher or project you care about and see where every dollar you give goes.
Expand the "Where your donation goes" section below to see exactly what Mrs. Alvarez is requesting.See our finances
|RECORDER GOTALK ONE • School Specialty||$12.35||9||$111.15|
Our team works hard to negotiate the best pricing and selections available.View complete list Show less