My students are in the 4th or 5th grade. All 99 of my students are English as a Second Language learners from many Spanish speaking countries around the world. I work with them 2-5 days a week on building their academic vocabulary, reading, writing, math and working on grammar.
My students are amazing children that have a desire to learn everything.
I want to be able to provide as much as I can to them, since we are a Title 1 School, which means every student here receives free breakfast and lunch.
Using iPads for ESL can help keep students engaged in learning. ESL students often lose focus when having to constantly work on translating/understanding the English language. Students love working with new technology.
There are many apps within the iPads that will allow the students to experience English in another form than just sitting and listening.
Some apps that can be used are:
1. FluentU-This app takes real world videos and turns them into English learning experiences.
2. Duolingo-The English version of this app integrates conversation, vocabulary, speaking, and listening skills.
3. Grammar Up-This app can be a great individual assessment that ESL teachers can use to determine which parts of speech their students are proficient at and areas that need attention.
4. Memrise-This app uses some creative, funny ways to help an ESL student remember what words mean.
5. Sentence Builder for iPad-This app is made for elementary students and focuses on constructing sentences.
6. Adventures for Kids-This app has gentle story-based games that nurture vocabulary skills through repetition.
7. Phonetics Focus-This app offers a phonetic typewriter, games, flash cards, audio recording and playback functions.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Poteet.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Poteet and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.