Our middle/high school is home to some of the most caring and loving kids I have ever known. The small town family feel of this community and school is what makes us special. These kids are eager to learn and pitch in when needed. I teach a variety of grade levels...from incoming 6th graders to seniors which gives us a great opportunity to watch the growth and maturity of each student.
My students have great pride in their community and a hunger to learn about new things that makes me proud to be their teacher.
Our classroom has adopted two baby rats, Pearl and Rose, as class pets. I was able to borrow a small cage for our babies, but as you know, babies don't stay babies for long. They are growing rapidly and are in need of a bigger, permanent home as well as chew toys and food.
Pearl and Rose have already added responsibility and respect for life to our classroom and that will only continue to grow as they nurture these babies.
Pets Enrich the Classroom Experience:
• Even kids with no exposure to animals or nature in their home environment can see, feel, touch and make connections to the wide world of animals.
• Observing and caring for an animal instills a sense of responsibility and respect for life.
• A pet brings increased sensitivity and awareness of the feelings and needs of others—both animals and humans.
• Kids learn that all living things need more than just food and water for survival.
• Students will see directly how their behavior and actions affect others.
• Studies show that the presence of animals tends to lessen tension in the classroom.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Ms. Davison.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Ms. Davison and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.