My students need literature that is modern and reflective of who they are and what they are going through in order to engage them as young readers.
I work at a title I school that is 100% free lunch and breakfast. We are on the North side of Stockton, and have a high poverty. Most of our students do not have access to the internet at home and a portion of our students are foster care and homeless. Other students live in a one parent home where that parent works multiple jobs and is not around to help the student with work or encourage reading outside of the classroom. We have very little family involvement with our school because of the area and the dynamic of their home life situations.
Each and every one of my students are amazing in their own way but we do have challenges behaviorally and academically.
Working with my student and helping them each day make small gains in their academic achievement and/or behavior is amazing to see—it makes the challenges of working with this group worth every minute.
We struggle as a site with low readers. 80% of my students are reading below their grade level and over half of that percent is more than 3 grade levels below leaving only 20% that are at or 1-2 grade levels above.
My kids love to read, but the selections in our curriculum have little to nothing to appeal to their interest or their culture.
If I want to produce better readers, which will in turn, produce better writers, I have to give them reading material that has meaning to them, that resonates themes which occur in their own daily life because if a student can’t see their self in the text, they have no buy in to read it.
My school is trying to provide a print rich environment but as we are in a low income population their is not funds to provide a whole library for every class. We are lucky to have a great school library and a county library student may attend. By having a full library in my classroom I will be able to provide time and resources to improve student reading.
Expand the "Where your donation goes" section below to see exactly what Ms. Phillips is requesting.See our finances
|The Complete Wreck (Series of Unfortunate Events box set, #1-13) • AKJ Education||$131.40||1||$131.40|
|Diary of a Wimpy Kid (11 Books) • AKJ Education||$114.82||1||$114.82|
|Who Was? Nonfiction (24 Bk Set) • AKJ Education||$107.57||1||$107.57|
|Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family's Fight for Desegregation • AKJ Education||$13.83||1||$13.83|
|The Kite Runner (10th Anniversary) • AKJ Education||$11.68||1||$11.68|
|I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 • AKJ Education||$10.77||1||$10.77|
|I Survived The Destruction Of Pompeii, 79 • AKJ Education||$10.77||1||$10.77|
|The Book Thief • AKJ Education||$10.74||1||$10.74|
|A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier • AKJ Education||$9.49||1||$9.49|
|I Survived True Stories: Five Epic Disasters • AKJ Education||$9.48||1||$9.48|
|I Survived Collection: Books #1-4 • AKJ Education||$7.29||1||$7.29|
|The Dreamer • AKJ Education||$6.56||1||$6.56|
|One Crazy Summer • AKJ Education||$5.83||1||$5.83|
|Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry • AKJ Education||$5.83||1||$5.83|
|Becoming Naomi Leon • AKJ Education||$5.83||1||$5.83|
|Rules • AKJ Education||$5.83||1||$5.83|
|The Boy in the Striped Pajamas • AKJ Education||$5.68||1||$5.68|
|The Story Of Ruby Bridges: Special Anniversary Edition (Common Core Exemplar) • AKJ Education||$5.10||1||$5.10|
|Hidden Figures Young Readers' Edition • AKJ Education||$4.85||1||$4.85|
|I Survived #9: I Survived the Nazi Invasion, 1944 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived #11: I Survived the Great Chicago Fire, 1871 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived #8: The Japanese Tsunami, 2011 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived the Hindenburg Disaster 1937 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived the Joplin Tornado, 2011 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived #10: I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived #5: I Survived the San Francisco Earthquake, 1906 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived #6: I Survived the Attacks of September 11th, 2001 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived #7: I Survived the Battle of Gettysburg, 1863 • AKJ Education||$4.49||1||$4.49|
|I Survived the Eruption of Mount St. Helens, 1980 • AKJ Education||$3.64||1||$3.64|
|I Survived the American Revolution, 1776 (I Survived #15) • AKJ Education||$3.64||1||$3.64|
Our team works hard to negotiate the best pricing and selections available.View complete list Show less