Our school sits amidst beautiful mountains with adventures galore! What an opportunity for these bright, energetic, and creative students to be living in such a gorgeous land!
These motivated students come from a variety of backgrounds and work together to help each other reach their goals.
Their love for reading is sparked and supported by the school library! Despite this, our students need more books to help grow their collection at home so students and parents can work together to build phonemic awareness skills, increase vocabulary & fluency, and gain better comprehension!
Research shows that students become better readers when they have someone read with them and are engaged in conversation.
Reading Boot Camp will be utilized for family engagement to guide parents on helping their child at home with reading.
Boot Camp will incorporate discussion and stations of the following :
1. Students and parents will be asked to fill out an informal survey on reading habits.
2. Teachers will model the basics such as rhyming, blending & segmentation, and monitoring reading for understanding. Suggested activities will be provided.
3. Members of the local Army will assist with Boot Camp by having stations that incorporate exercise and reading skills. Focus will be on the importance of exercise and commitment which enhances academics.
4. Therapy dogs will be used to show how students can relax while reading with pets. Students can "adopt" stuffed animal puppies (funded through another local grant) by signing a commitment to read to their pet daily. Focus will be on providing a relaxing environment for reading and being committed to reading at home.
5. Read Aloud volunteers will model reading with children and engaging in conversation. Focus will be on promoting a love for reading, as well as increasing reading comprehension and conversation. Books will be provided and sent home with the children to help open the magic in a book!
6. Families will be informed they can trade the books with other families by dropping it in the "Lending Library" outside of the school. This promotes continuation of the project for years as they are allowed to drop a book and take a book at any time!
7. Evaluations will occur through a parent questionnaire following training and progress monitoring through our summative assessment.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Nixon.
DonorsChoose is the most trusted classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Nixon and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.