Ms. S from Berkeley CA is requesting Supplies through DonorsChoose, the most trusted classroom funding site for teachers.
My students need dissection equipment and specimens to provide them with hands on opportunities in Biology class.
Through animal dissections, this grant will help inspire and engage students by providing highly memorable laboratory experiences. Students will be encouraged to see themselves as surgeons and scientists through the exploration of animal anatomy.
The REALM Charter School student body consists of 80% students of color living in Richmond, Berkeley, and Oakland.
Approximately 60% of our students are Latino, and the remaining 40% are African American, Asian and White. We are a project based design school. We teach students to tackle problems and seek solutions through creative ingenuity.
This grant will provide our science classroom with the equipment necessary to complete two laboratory dissections with 100 students. After an in depth study of the circulatory system and the chambers and structures of the heart, we will dissect a sheep heart. I selected a sheep heart since they are almost identical in size and structure as a human heart. We will continue with our anatomical studies of the other human organ systems, including the respiratory, digestive, excretory, reproductive, muscular, and skeletal systems. As a final culminating project, we will dissect a large bullfrog to develop a much deeper understanding of how the organs work together in the human body.
Animal dissections excite students and encourage students to connect deeply with their scientific understandings through a hands on experience.
Putting on goggles, and learning how to manipulate surgical equipment is a wonderful way for students envision themselves as a doctor or surgeon. In today's world, where American students are needing extra encouragement to pursue a career in medicine or science, experiential learning opportunities such as this one are crucial.
You donate directly to the teacher or project you care about and see where every dollar you give goes.
Expand the "Where your donation goes" section below to see exactly what Ms. S is requesting.See our finances
You can start a project with the same resources being requested here!
|Perfect Solution(tm)Sheep Brain,No Dura Mater,Pail • Carolina Biological Supply Company||$10.45||1||$10.45|
|Student Classroom Dissection Set • Carolina Biological Supply Company||$146.73||1||$146.73|
|Bullfrog Dissection BioKit(r) • Carolina Biological Supply Company||$137.75||3||$413.25|
|Perfect Solution(tm) Sheep Heart, Plain, Pail • Carolina Biological Supply Company||$4.27||50||$213.50|
Our team works hard to negotiate the best pricing and selections available.View complete list Show less
Extend the reach of your impact by supporting local classrooms in your community.View map of local classrooms