Help me give my students the gift of representation within my classroom library.
Hooray! This project is fully funded
My little learners come from a variety of backgrounds with 48% of the population being white and the remaining 52% being students of color. About half of our school receive free/reduced lunch. It is so Important that these guys get to be represented in the books that we read in class.
With the Black Lives Matter movement, it really hit me that I do not have enough material in my classroom library that any child walking though my door could feel represented. It shocked me that most all of the protagonists in my books were white. My population in my school family is almost 50% composed of students of color!
It is my job as an educator to have all students who walk into my classroom, feel safe, accepted, and valued.
Part of that is the need to be a facilitator of social comprehension. We need to safely and age appropriately, navigate non biased discussions around race, gender, and sexuality; even when it feels scratchy and uncomfortable.
Our third graders are at a prime age to accept and absorb this information and carry it on with them as they become citizens of the world, and your contribution of books will help all four third grade classrooms with this vision.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Sanders.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Sanders and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.