Help me give my students bean bag chairs and classroom rug so that they can have a warm and inviting place improve their reading skills.
I work with a diverse group of high school students. Each of them comes with their own unique learning needs. However, together we are working towards one goal: to become lifelong learners, thinkers, and readers.
I am a reading teacher at a Title I school in Connecticut where 100% of my students are reading three or more levels below their grade level.
While these students face many challenges in their life and many of them have experienced trauma, they work hard each day to become better versions of themselves. Many of my students have the goal to be college and career ready but can become easily discouraged. They realize that they need to be literate individuals in order to achieve this, but this can be overwhelming for them at times. We are striving to work together to foster a positive learning environment that builds positive relationships, encourages improved student attendance and a higher level of engagement.
My students can be very disengaged and are chronically absent from class. I want to provide them with an inviting and motivating reading space. They will help to engage the students by allowing them to relax and read, which is something almost none of my students have ever experienced.
My average daily attendance is about 60%, which leaves approximately 40% of my struggling readers without quality reading instruction.
When you introduce new concepts and provide a safe learning space to disengaged kids they are given the opportunity to actively participate and succeed. My students are frequently absent, easily distracted, and often off task. They have also spoken about their lack of safe and comfortable reading spaces. In an effort to build positive relationships, I want to provide this space for my students. I want them to know their voice has been heard and that I will do everything I can to give them a space to help them succeed.
Bean bag chairs and a rug will allow the students to see the world through their independent reading books. Creating this environment allows me to give them the opportunity to become better readers and to motivate them to be present for school. Having a reading space will help alleviate the chronic absenteeism. I will be better able to connect and form positive. This would also help me to build positive relationships with students. They will be able to see how much I care about their reading, their improvement and their futures. I want students to enter my reading class and know they are valued and that they deserve the best.
Expand the "Where your donation goes" section below to see exactly what Mrs. R. is requesting.See our finances
|All-Over Weave Rug Rug Dimensions: 5'10" x 8'4", Color: Blue • Teachers' School Supply||$218.58||1||$218.58|
|Majestic Home Goods Indoor Large Polka Dot Cotton Duck/Twill Small Classic Bean Bag Chair, Black • Quill.com||$107.99||1||$107.99|
|Flash Furniture Cotton Twill Oversized Solid Bean Bag Chair, Light Pink • Quill.com||$98.99||1||$98.99|
|Flash Furniture Cotton Twill Small Solid Kids Bean Bag Chair, Green • Quill.com||$71.36||1||$71.36|
|SOFTZONE 18 IN ROUND JUNIOR OTTOMAN • School Specialty||$67.87||1||$67.87|
|OPTION CLASS - CS ACTIVITY TABLE ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT OPTION • School Specialty||$0.00||1||$0.00|
|22-30 ADJ LEG • School Specialty||$0.00||1||$0.00|
|OPTION CLASS - CS STANDARD/APOLLO ACTIVITY TABLE MATCHING UPPER LEG/T-MOLD EDGE COLOR OPTION • School Specialty||$0.00||1||$0.00|
|BLACK (PP1) - CLASSROOM SELECT • School Specialty||$0.00||1||$0.00|
Our team works hard to negotiate the best pricing and selections available.View complete list Show less