Greetings. I began teaching the majority of my students this last summer as incoming freshman. These students could have gone to a public school and avoided three additional weeks of waking up early for class (followed by the walloping Summer Packet), but all of them decided that the more rigorous school was in their best interest.
My students realize that the future is full of uncertainties, but that hard work towards an education will empower them to overcome any obstacle and fulfill positive, passionate goals.
Our demographics are around 90% Chicana/o, and the other 10% is quite diverse. My students are sharp and hilarious. They are uplifting to each other; it feels like a true learning community. We have nurtured an academic camaraderie that I wish everybody could experience while in school.
Most schools have libraries - ours does not. Since last summer I have been acquiring as many books as possible for my students' Independent Reading during Advisory and at home. Yet, because I still have far more students than good books, I often find myself pitching titles that are, understandably, tough sells.
Our students deserve to enhance their literacy in an enjoyable and meaningful way - selecting books that are interesting and fulfilling is an essential aspect to this growth.
Some of the books I am seeking are purposed to develop their writing skills so they may more effectively express and share their sentiments, observations, perspectives, and philosophies with whoever they choose.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mr. Borie.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mr. Borie and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.