My students are 2nd graders in a high poverty, inner-city primary school. 100% of students receive free breakfast and lunch. We give students coats to keep warm, pencils to do their homework with, and backpacks to carry their schoolwork home in. 99% of the time my students come to school happy, smiling, and eager to learn. They are kind, caring, and curious, and always ready to lend a helping hand to one another. The other 1% of the time though I hear stories about gunshots in the night, homelessness, death, and sadly abuse. I comfort, console, counsel, cheer, and most importantly listen without judging. In 8 short years they have already endured a lifetime of heartache. Despite all of this they constantly want to learn. They ask many questions and soak up the answers like sponges. They understand at an early age that education is a way out for them. Our district asks the students to make a promise to dream big!
My students use two computerized learning programs, ReadyGen for literacy, and Edmentum for math. My classroom has 6 student computers that sit on two long tables. The computers are very close together so the mouse with a retractable cord will allow my students to work independently on the programs without having to worry about cords getting all tangled up with their neighbors. Kids get so frustrated when all the cords get tangled, they get angry with each other and they often give up on their learning.
The Osmo Genius Starter Kit will provide a new and interesting way to use our iPads.
It will make the iPads come to life for my students! My students will actually manipulate handheld game pieces, hands-on learning at its very best! The 5 Game Apps can be used for both math and literacy, tracking individual student progress. Imagine a small group of students working together collaboratively to solve a problem!
The magnetic letters will be a great addition to our small group centers in literacy. We do word work at a literacy station and my students will be able to work independently to build their spelling words using the magnetic letters. The different colors will help solidify the concept of vowels and consonants, a skill some second graders are still working on.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Keller.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Keller and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.