My students struggle in math but wait it’s not just that, they live lives that most of us would never come across. My students want to better themselves but don’t have the resources. They aren’t your regular kids who sit down and do notes and just learn. They need one on one tutoring. Some may say people haven’t taken the time to sit with them and show them. “Our school system doesn’t allow us to deal with life’s hardships and keep succeeding in school. I was behind and I fell like I can’t catch up!” Is what one of my students told me. These students are the ones who make you laugh and make you cry knowing they just need a way out. They say the funniest things. They want to talk to you. They want to succeed but just don’t understand what our school has to offer. They lack motivation skills at times, but who are we to keep continuing this cycle.
Algebra 1 is a staar tested subject. Many of these students who are retaking Algebra 1 need an extra push and one less excuse. Many of these out dated calculators have smudged buttons, dark screens, etc. They need updated tools to succeed. We use calculators about 90% of the time in class. The other 10% is when a student is first taught showing step by step work by hand. We graph. We look at the tables. We compare the characteristics of multiple representations of the equation. Give these kids a fair shot at passing a staar test with updated supplies. Why else create the technology if we don’t have access to them for our students.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Gallegos.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Gallegos and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.