The Indianapolis Public School's Newcomer Program serves students who are new to the United States and are learning English for the first time. About 75% of our students are from Latin America and most come as unaccompanied minors fleeing gang violence. The other 25% of our students are mostly refugees from Africa and Asia, specifically Congolese and Burmese refugees. All of our students are economically disadvantaged so their parents struggle to regularly purchase items that help to keep their spaces at home clean and disinfected.
All of the Newcomer Program students are incredible and we are growing each day.
They are amazingly talented, hilarious, courageous, brilliant scholars from all over the world. They are all learning English and all about what life is like in America.
With your help funding our project, our students can take home cleaning items that will allow them to feel clean and comfortable in their home environment!
At Newcomer, we are fortunate enough that we get the ability to really know our kids and the varying needs that they may have at home and at school. We do home visits and see the living conditions of many of their homes very frequently. Because all of our students are economically disadvantage, the ability of their families to purchase cleaning items to keep a clean, disinfected home is not always possible. With your help, this project will allow our staff at Newcomer to provide our students with some supplies that will help them and their families to create a clean space to live in.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Ms. Mitchell.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Ms. Mitchell and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.