My students are first graders in a high poverty, inner-city primary school. All students in our school receive free breakfast and lunch. Our students are provided with uniforms to wear to school, pencils to complete their homework, backpacks to carry their schoolwork home in, and coats to keep them warm. There are about 99% of my students who always come to school eager to learn, happy, and smiling. They are kind, caring and curious and always ready to lend a helping hand to other students and myself. The other 1% may tell stories of incarceration, drugs, homelessness, death, and sometimes abuse. I try to comfort, console, encourage, and just listen to their stories they share.
It is amazing that even through all of these challenges they are all still eager and ready to learn.
They are constantly asking questions and soaking up the knowledge like they are a sponge. Our district wants our students to promise to always dream BIG!
In our classroom we use two computer based programs, one for mathematics and one for literacy. Both programs are interactive therefore require headphones as a necessity in order for students to be successful. We need strong and durable headphones since these programs are used daily by the students. We have six classroom computers, access to iPads, and a computer lab which we access two times a week. Our computer lab unfortunately does not have headphones for every computer, and the ones that do are not reliable or adjustable to fit the students. The students get very frustrated when we go to the lab and they are unable to hear the computer due to broken or lack of headphones to use.
It is very frustrating to hear my students repeatedly say, "My headphones do not work, I can't hear anything."
These new headphones will ensure that ALL students will be able to successfully complete their learning paths on the programs and help them move closer to reaching their grade level benchmarks.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Dennis.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Dennis and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.