I teach students who are seeking the American dream. While every student wishes this for themselves, my students are 100% English language learners and most qualify for free and reduced-price lunch. So, that means I have students from all over the word like China, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Spain, Honduras, Columbia, and Mexico. Some have moved here to escape the violence and poverty in their countries while some are here to have opportunities in education not afforded to them in their countries. Whatever the reason, they are here with me every day, several hours a day, several years in a row to learn English. Whether or not they admit it, they love to learn and they crave the knowledge to help them acclimate to their new homes.
I want to provide experiences and resources that will accelerate their learning while creating life-long memories that will help them achieve that American dream.
1. Most of my students do not have a computer or tablet.
This iPad will be used as an individual enhancement like allowing access to translation devices, to access individualized lessons through Raz-kids and for research projects.
2. Access to Raz-kids online and other online sources will assist in individualized instruction. This will be used as a reading resource that will meet the individual student's needs, give them access to a variety of texts to use for homework, and as a center group activity.
3. We need snacks for students who do not have access otherwise so they are not hungry in the morning which detracts from their learning.
4. A television and DVD player can be used to play our verbal language videos for listening and speaking practice.
5. Google Expeditions will allow my students to experience the world through virtual reality in a highly engaging manner. We use visual aids to build a foundation of language. This virtual reality kit will allow the students to travel the world.
6. A heater/ cooler fan will stabilize the temperature that ranges from the 50’s-90’s in our classroom because we don’t have air conditioning and the furnace only works correctly, sometimes.
I want to provide experiences and resources that will accelerate their learning while creating life-long memories. These resources will allow me to enhance my instruction.
If you donated to this project, you can sign in to leave a comment for Mrs. Waltner.
DonorsChoose is the #1 classroom funding site for teachers.
As a teacher-founded nonprofit, we're trusted by thousands of teachers and supporters across the country. This classroom request for funding was created by Mrs. Waltner and reviewed by the DonorsChoose team.
DonorsChoose makes it easy for anyone to help a classroom in need. Public school teachers from every corner of America create classroom project requests, and you can give any amount to the project that inspires you.